Individuals, couples, and families in Ramsey County turn to Unique Estate Law for first-rate estate planning services. Our firm helps clients from all walks of life, including LGBTQ+ families, plan their financial futures.
We work closely with clients to help them make informed decisions and tailor estate plans to their unique needs. Whether you only need a will or can benefit from trusts to protect your assets, we will explore all your options. Contact us today to get started with an experienced Ramsey County estate planning attorney.
Advising Ramsey County Residents on Estate Planning
At Unique Estate Law, we know that no two estates are the same, and each client has unique needs and objectives. At the same time, a comprehensive plan includes the following foundational estate planning documents:
- Will to determine how your assets will be distributed after you pass, name an executor to carry out your instructions, and designate a guardian to care for your minor children
- Power of attorney to appoint a trusted person to manage your legal and business affairs (pay bills, manage property, monitor accounts and investments) if you become incapacitated
- Advance directive for healthcare to designate a healthcare representative to make decisions about your medical care if you cannot communicate your preferences
Notably, a will must go through probate, a court-supervised proceeding to validate the will and distribute the estate assets. Depending on the size of the estate, probate can be expensive and time-consuming. For this reason, we often recommend clients consider tools like revocable and irrevocable trusts:
- Revocable living trust takes ownership of your property, allows you to continue managing your assets during your lifetime, appoints a trustee to manage and distribute the trust assets upon your death, and avoids probate.
- Irrevocable trusts cannot be modified or revoked and accomplish objectives such as minimizing estate taxes, protecting assets from creditors’ claims, planning for a special needs loved one, long-term care planning, or leaving a charitable legacy.
When you meet with us, we will take the time to get to know you, understand your circumstances, and consider all your estate planning options.
LGBTQ+ Estate Planning
Marital equality has long been recognized in Minnesota, but same-sex couples and LGBTQ families face unique estate planning challenges. For example, if you pass without a will, your partner’s inheritance rights will not be protected. Suppose family members try to interfere with the medical decisions of your partner, or a custody dispute arises over non-biological children.
You need a knowledgeable and compassionate estate planning attorney to protect your rights and interests. As a gay-owned and operated firm, Unique Estate Law proudly services the LGBTQ+ community in Ramsey County. We understand your challenges and will help you find innovative solutions. From preparing wills and trusts for same-sex households to advising clients about guardianship and LGBTQ adoption, we are committed to serving our clients with the highest standards of professional excellence. When you become our client, you will have comfort with our experienced Ramsey County estate planning attorney at your side.
Probate and Estate Administration Lawyer in Ramsey County
Our firm advises clients on probate and estate administration proceedings in Ramsey County. Probate, the court-supervised process for administering a person’s estate and distributing their assets after they pass, can be complicated and confusing. If you have been named the executor of a loved one’s estate, our probate attorney can advise you on your duties, such as:
- Filing a petition with the probate court to validate the will
- Notifying the heirs named in the will
- Conducting an inventory and appraisal of the assets
- Settling estate debt with creditors
- Filing the decedent’s final income tax returns
- Distributing the estate assets to the beneficiaries
- Closing the estate
If a loved one has died without a will, we can ask the court to appoint you or another family member as the estate administrator and help you faithfully carry out your duties.
Why Unique Estate Law?
We are not only knowledgeable trust and estate lawyers, we love what do and care about our clients. Our lead attorney, Chris Tymchuk, is known as a dedicated advocate and an empathic person who provides each client with compassionate representation and personalized attention. When you meet with us, you will find a comfortable environment where you can make decisions carefully and thoughtfully. We offer transparent, flat-free pricing, and cost-effective services and will stand by you every step of the way.
Contact Our Experienced Ramsey County Estate Planning Attorney
At Unique Estate Law, we believe that estate planning is for everyone and today is the day to get started. Whether you only need to draw up a will to protect your young family or your estate holds complex, high-value assets, we will provide trustworthy advice and guidance and customize a plan to your needs and objectives. Contact us now to set up an appointment.