Carver County residents seeking quality estate planning services can rely on Unique Estate Law. Our firm works with clients from all walks of life, including LGBTQ+ families. We understand that each individual and family is unique and requires a customized estate planning solution.
Our experienced Carver County estate planning attorney works closely with clients to help them make informed decisions and tailor estate plans to their unique needs. Whether you need a will or require trusts to protect your assets, we will explore all your options. Contact our office today to book a consultation.
A Premier Carver County Estate Planning Attorney
Although every client has individual requirements and goals, a well-rounded plan incorporates the following essential estate planning documents:
- Will to outline the distribution of your assets upon your death, appoint an executor to execute your instructions, and assign a guardian to look after your minor children
- Power of attorney to designate a reliable individual to oversee your legal and business matters (paying bills, managing property, supervising accounts and investments) if you become incapacitated
- Advanced healthcare directive to appoint a healthcare representative to make decisions regarding your medical treatment if you are unable to express your wishes
Notably, a will must undergo probate, a court-monitored process to validate the document and allocate the estate assets. Probate can be costly and lengthy, depending on the estate size. As a result, we frequently advise clients to consider options like revocable and irrevocable trusts:
- Revocable living trust assumes ownership of your assets, permits you to maintain management during your lifetime, appoints a trustee to oversee and distribute the trust assets after your death, and bypasses probate.
- Irrevocable trusts achieve goals such as reducing estate taxes, safeguarding assets from creditor claims, planning for a special needs family member, long-term care planning, and establishing a charitable legacy.
When you meet with us, we will get to know you, understand your situation, and evaluate all your estate planning alternatives.
LGBTQ+ Estate Planning
Marital equality has been well-established in Minnesota for some time; however, same-sex couples and LGBTQ families still face various estate planning obstacles. For instance, your partner’s inheritance rights may be left unprotected without a will.
What if family members attempt to interfere in your partner’s medical decisions or if a custody dispute emerges over nonbiological children? A skilled and empathetic estate planning lawyer is essential to protect your rights and interests.
As a proudly gay-owned and operated firm, we serve the LGBTQ+ community in Carver County with dignity and compassion. We understand your challenges and are committed to helping you find creative solutions. From drafting wills and trusts for same-sex couples to providing guidance on guardianship and LGBTQ adoption, Unique Estate Law is the go-to estate planning law firm in Carver County.
Probate and Estate Administration
Our firm offers guidance to clients on probate and estate administration processes in Carver County. If you have been named the executor of a loved one’s estate, our probate attorney can advise you on your responsibilities. These duties include:
- Submitting a petition to the probate court to verify the will
- Informing the beneficiaries named in the will
- Carrying out an inventory and appraisal of the assets
- Resolving outstanding estate debts with creditors
- Filing the decedent’s final income tax returns
- Distributing the estate assets among the beneficiaries
- Closing the estate
Our experienced attorneys will support you through each step of this complex process, ensuring that you fulfill your obligations as an executor while navigating any legal challenges that may arise. If a loved one has passed away without a will, we can provide guidance on the appointment of an estate administrator by petitioning the probate court.
The duties of an estate administrator are similar to those of an executor. In such cases, the intestacy laws of Minnesota will govern the administration of the estate. No matter what your situation may be, it is advisable to have an experienced attorney to help you navigate the probate and estate administration process.
Talk To An Experienced Carver County Estate Planning Attorney Today!
At Unique Estate Law, we believe estate planning is essential for individuals from all walks of life. Whether you need to create a will or update an existing estate plan, we will guide you throughout the process.
Regardless of the simplicity or complexity of your estate, you can rely on our team to offer dependable advice and counsel. Once you become our client, you will have comfort knowing your assets and loved ones will be protected. Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation.